Vegan Beet + Lentil Soup
Yield: 6 meal-size servings
- 3 golden beets, scrubbed + cubed
- 2# butternut squash, ½-inch cubes
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 12 oz onion, diced
- 0.75 oz minced garlic
- 1-inch fresh turmeric, grated
- 1-inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 9 oz cooked green lentils
- 12 oz coconut milk
- 2 oz lime juice
- 2 tsp agave
- Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Toss the cubed beets + squash in olive oil and place on prepared sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt + pepper. Roast for approximately 20 minutes until veggies are tender but not mushy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Add onion, sauté 2-3 minutes until the onions start to turn golden brown.
- Add garlic through nutmeg, stirring well. Sauté for 5 minutes on medium-low heat until the spices become quite fragrant. Be careful not to burn spices here.
- Pour one cup of vegetable broth into the pan to lift the spices up off the bottom; stir well. Add remaining vegetable broth slowly.
- Add lentils through agave, stir well, and then simmer on low while preparing roasted veggies.
- Blend half of the roasted veggies in a Vitamix or food processor with a few tablespoons of water or vegetable broth to make a puree. Add as little liquid as you need to create a nice, thick puree, which will ultimately thicken your soup better.
- Add roasted veggie puree and remaining roasted veggies to soup, stir to combine.
- Taste test. Season more with salt if needed. I found that the other spices lend so much flavor that pepper wasn’t needed.
- Gobble up!
Note: The soup in this photo was topped off with Forager Cashew Yogurt + fresh parsley. It looks awesome but the soup tastes amazing without any extra add-ons so just do what calls to you!