Classic Pumpkin Pie
Yield: 1 heart-warming 9-inch pie
• 1 Pie Dough
• 19 oz pumpkin puree
• 3.50 oz sugar
• 2 oz brown sugar
• 1 tsp saigon cinnamon
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp ginger
• ½ tsp cloves
• ½ tsp nutmeg
• 3 eggs
• 1 egg yolk
• 15 oz evaporated milk
PREHEAT oven to 425°F, position one oven rack to middle position.
1. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Roll pie dough into a 12-inch circle between two sheets of parchment. Line prepared pan with dough. If you have any extra dough, simply add to bottom and/or sides of pan. Crimp edges and refrigerate until ready to bake (step #5).
2. Stir together pumpkin puree through nutmeg in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together eggs, egg yolk, and evaporated milk until just mixed.
4. Slowly pour egg mixture into pumpkin mixture while stirring to combine. Continue whisking until mixtures are thoroughly combined and batter is seamless.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350°F. Bake pie for another 20 minutes. Remove pie from oven and cover crust only – if needed, see note below on how to do this. Bake pie for another 25 minutes. Pie is done when the center is puffed up and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Cool on wire rack until room temperature and then refrigerate overnight to let pie set. When getting ready to serve, don’t forget some homemade whipped cream, ice cream, or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Note: To cover just the crust of a pie, tear a 12-inch long piece of foil from the roll. Fold foil square in half and cut out an 8-inch circle in the center. Place foil on crust and crimp around edges of pan to make stick, the center will be completely open so your pie can continue to bake.