Hell Yeah Vegan Shortbread
Yield: 24 scrumptious cookies
• 3.50 oz vegan butter, cold (I used Mykonos brand)
• 3.50 oz vegan cream cheese (I’ve used both Tofutti and Trader Joe’s brand, both worked well)
• 3.75 oz sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
• 10.70 oz Shortbread Mix
• QS sparkling sugar
Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 9-inch square pan and one half-sheet pan with parchment.
1. In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, “cream” butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Vegan butter doesn’t quite cream like regular butter so the trick here is to make sure the mixture is well incorporated and there are no lumps left in the mixture.
2. Add salt and vanilla bean paste, mix until just incorporated.
3. Adjust mixer to low, add Shortbread Mix and beat until just combined.
4. Mound dough into center of prepared 9-inch square cake pan. Using cool hands, press dough evenly into shape of square. Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours, you want it to be rock hard when putting in the oven..
5. Bake cookies for 20 minutes in the pan. Then remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
6. Remove cookies carefully from pan and then mark dough 3 times on one edge to create four even sections. Next, mark dough 5 times on perpendicular edge to create six even sections, creating 24 (2.25-inch by 1.50-inch) cookies. Double check to make sure marks are correct before you cut all the way through.
7. Arrange cookies on prepared pan. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar (as little or as much as your want).
8. Bake 10-20 more minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Cookies will puff slightly and turn pale golden-brown when done; I found the vegan shortbread brown less than the regular shortbread. Allow cookies to cool on pans for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature and enjoy for days to come with a warm cup of tea and a good book!
P.s. Trying dipping cookies in chocolate for an extra touch 🙂