Ah-MAZING Animal Cracker Cookies
Yield: 176 mini cookies OR 88 mini cookies + disc of dough that can be used for larger sugar cookies 🙂
- 16.25 oz Cake Mix
- 6.50 oz Roux Mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 oz butter, room temp.
- 7.50 oz sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 10 oz melting wafers for half batch (88 mini cookies)
Preheat oven to 275°F. Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper. Place racks near center of oven.
- In medium bowl whisk together Cake Mix, Roux Mix, baking soda, and salt.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; approximately doubled in size.
- Add eggs, almond extract, and vanilla bean paste, beat on medium-low speed until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and beat until incorporated and dough forms.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half into a disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill 1-hr or until firm to touch.
- Remove one disc of chilled dough from refrigerator, unwrap, and place between two sheets of parchment. It might help to massage dough slightly before placing between sheets; this will make it easier to roll out. I simply press down on the dough a few times around with the palm of my hand before using a rolling pin. Roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness. You can even go thinner than this, especially if you want crunchier cookies. Rotate your parchment paper every few rolls so that the dough rolls out more evenly.
- Cut out desired shapes* and transfer cookies to prepared sheet pans.
- Refrigerate cut-out cookies for 30 minutes to chill; you can also put them in the freezer if they’ll fit! I baked 25 cookies per pan.
- Bake cookies for approximately 7-12 minutes or until the edges are just starting to turn golden brown. Baking time varies so much here because it depends on the size of cookie you choose AND on how long you chilled your cut-out cookie dough for.**
- Remove from oven. Let cookies cool on sheet pan(s) for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once cookies are cool, melt chocolate wafers in microwave for 15-second increments. Stir in between and only microwave just melted. Melting wafers can burn.
- Dip cookies into melting wafers and then set on wire rack, splash on sprinkles, and then let dry before eating. Check out my IG Highlight to see cookies being dipped in chocolate (videos toward end of highlight).
P.s. The cookies don’t take long to dry so you’ll be eating them in no time 😉
*Note: When picking out cookie cutters, make sure you pick cutters similar in size. This will ensure all the cookies bake evenly. If you do choose different sizes, be sure to bake those cookies on different sheet pans.
**Keep in mind that if your dough is chilling in your refrigerator but you keep opening + closing your fridge, you’re dough will take longer to chill 🙂