Vegan Chocolate-PB Cupcakes
Yield: 16 smashing cupcakes
- 8 oz Vegan Cookie Mix
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- 7.50 oz sugar
- 2 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3.25 oz canola oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz warm water
- 4 oz Vegenaise
- 2 batches Basic Vegan Frosting (1 batch flavored with peanut butter, 1 batch flavored with cocoa)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Fill two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Whisk together Vegan Cookie Mix, xanthan gum, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine canola oil, cider vinegar, and vanilla on medium-low speed until thoroughly combined. Be sure to start mixer on low and then increase speed slowly – this way the liquids will not fly out at you!
- Add dry ingredients and continue to beat on medium-low until combined.
- Add warm water and Vegenaise. Beat on medium speed until batter has expanded in size and has a smooth texture. Let batter rest for 20 minutes.
- Using a blue or yellow scoop, fill liners with batter. If you do not have a scoop available, fill liners so that they are two-thirds full. Bake for approximately 16 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before filling and frosting.
Note: Warm water is used here, as opposed to cold water, to help bloom the cocoa. If you’ve ever noticed, cocoa has a tendency to clump. Warm water will help break it up and bring out as much flavor as possible. Additionally, it is not necessary to let your batter rest, however, in doing so you will get a more even rise. If the batter does not rest, your cupcakes may sink slightly after being removed from the oven. If you are filling your cupcakes, this doesn’t really matter much but I thought it still an interesting tidbit to share. Happy Baking 🙂